Thursday, October 6, 2011

A GREAT APPLE MAY HAVE FALLEN BUT NONE OF US WILL BE FAR FROM HIS LEGAGY.

At one o'clock yesterday morning I was just drifting off to sleep when the news  came on the radio at my bedside, the top story was the death of Steve Jobs the founder of Apple, this followed his valiant battle with pancreatic cancer.

56 years old, as we are all oft to say these days "is no age", but in  those short years he had a profound effect on this planets history and the lives of it's population, now and in the future. I can safely say his genius and foresight touched all our lives in some way.

In my case it was only in the past month that I  joined the apple revolution when I purchased a ipod nano while on a trip to the states and then even that experience left me in awe of this man.

I've bought electrical goods before but shopping in an Apple store is a whole new experience, it can only be described as akin to living out a star trek episode. I went into the store in San Francisco and fought my way through the melee that was being caused by people desperately trying to buy an ipad 2. Seeking out the display with the ipods on them, I found beside the display models was an ipad, which I used to determine price, colours and other features of the product. At the bottom of the screen was a tab marked Customer Support, I touched it and it popped up and and asked if i wanted someone to come to my location?... um er yeah, i pressed yes and it told me "Jazz" was on her way.... Jazz!! A minute later this young Hispanic girl with "Jazz" on her name badge appeared beside me and said "Hi. I told I wanted to purchase a nano, she asked what colour and then memory size? she disppeared off and came back with the engagement rig sized box and a bag, which was one hundred times it's size. Sorry she said we're out of small bags!!!! 

I then asked where I could  pay for it and she took a small device off her belt and swiped my card through it, asking me did I want a receipt printed or emailed? Er email great, she then turned the machine towards me and asked if that was my email address.... Er how? (I later realised they'd linked my visa to my itunes account and my email that way). as I turned to leave I saw a small Que of people standing at a cash desk behind us, I said to Jazz, if I did all this here in the one spot with you, why are those people queing up at a cash till?  She smiled and said some people don't know we can do it all on the floor and others who are in a hurry and just want head sets or other accessories go there and pay.

Since buying the nano it has changed my life, my walks are now longer and more enjoyable due to shuffle mode and the radio, as well as the pedometer helping me keep fit. Although there is a clock which can be displayed on the screen and a wristband accessory that turns the nano into a wrist watch... No way, I think it's a great device, but as with most advances in technology you can go to far, I wouldn't be be seen dead with that on my wrist, it'll never be a Rolex... it looks like a Swatch watch and  I grew out of them years ago...

As we all mourn the passing of an icon of this generation, I'd like to say thanks Steve for your legacy... may it live long and prosper.







No comments:

Post a Comment